Thursday, August 3, 2017

ClarinetFest 2017 // Orlando, FL

If you recall, last year our studio went to ClarinetFest in Kansas as a group to perform. After meeting so many fantastic clarinetists this year as guest artists at ASU, I decided to take the trip to this year's convention of my own prerogative. No intentions to play, just going to absorb the music and support my peers. I didn't even bring my camera (hence crappy iPhone photos, my personal specialty as you know) because I just didn't want to be bogged down and not be present.

It was maybe one of my best decisions ever. Being that it was in Orlando, I got to see both of my parents. I saw my friends and professors perform brilliantly, heard a lot of incredible new music, reconnected with old friends, and made a lot of new ones.
My mom may have crashed the Selmer party while she was visiting...and got to see a lot of my friends from FSU that she'd met throughout the years.
Probably my biggest highlight of the week was helping rockstar bass clarinet duo, Sqwonk, coordinate a last minute concert. They came to ASU about a year and a half ago and somehow remembered us when we ran into them at the beginning of the convention. They had two performances scheduled, but one of them was cancelled. I am SO glad that they took me seriously when I jokingly suggested we help them out last minute and play with them on Sunday morning, and then trusted me to organize it. Working, playing, and hanging out with Jeff and Jon was such a blast, it was an experience I will never forget.
So not only on Sunday did we get to play with Sqwonk, but then Jack, Patrick, and I went to Harry Potter World. 

Basically that day was one of my best days ever--to get to play with some of my favorite people ever, Sqwonk included, and then go to Harry Potter World? I was NOT OKAY, I couldn't stop smiling (even if it did rain all day) and physically shaking Patrick.
Ron, Hermione, and Cho Chang take HP World! 😂
To cap off this amazing week, my dad also came to Orlando to spend the day with me before I got on the plane.
It's things like this that make me so thankful to be doing what I'm doing, and feel like I do genuinely have a place in the world of clarinet and academia. 

I'm just feeling really good, so much better than earlier this summer to be honest, after last week's festivities 😊

Dan comes home in less than a week and I the anticipation is nutso! Back to the grind now, but feeling refreshed. 
xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...