Thursday, January 22, 2015

On Beginning a Semester from Hell


If I listed the amount of commitments I made for this semester, the amount of music I'm playing, of hours I spend at school and work, of assignments I have to do, you would probably cringe. You would ask, "why? why are you doing that to yourself? why don't you drop something? why don't you just say no?"

I don't have an answer for you. I just kept saying yes. Yes, I'll play on that recital. Yes, I want to submit recordings for these competitions. Yes, I want to take this time-consuming class. Yes, I want to work ten hours or more a week. Yes, I want to play this stupidly difficult music. Yes, I want to go crazy, ok.

I mean, I'm totally excited. How lucky am I to have so many opportunities to play great music with great people? (very lucky)

But I'm also very tired. Already. I don't know how I am going to do it all, but I AM going to do it all, so I guess I'll let you know after the fact.






Probably most of you who are reading this are also music students, so, how do you manage the stress??? Since this is my first year in graduate school, I've never really had such an intense workload (there were some heavy semesters in my undergrad, but not like this), and I'm still figuring out how to handle it...gimme yer advice please.

I do know one thing though: cats are pretty therapeutic.
xx

P.S. this polaroid photo is an actual legit polaroid taken by and belonging to my sister from this day.

2 comments:

  1. Two things:
    I plan out my days to fifteen minute increments, quite literally... including breaks! Even if I don't accomplish everything I -absolutely- wanted to get done in that day, it helps me keep track of how much that's left to do, and I can also look back and see how much I did accomplish during the day :)

    Second, chocolate and kitten cuddles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I love music even if I'm not a music student. But doing something related to music is awesome. Your profession tells the beauty you have. Keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...