Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Grandma Lillian

On Saturday, my Dad's mom, my Grandma Lillian, passed away. She was 94 years old, and the sweetest grandma. Rebecca and I didn't get to see her nearly often enough, and when we'd call or visit she'd be so overwhelmingly happy to see us that she'd hold our hands tightly and just smile and smile.

I have fond memories of her old house in New York (most recently she was living in New Jersey, near my Aunt), with a fake grass door mat. We'd play in a red wagon in front of her house, and go out to the diner in her little red car. She always had hard candy in a bowl, in true grandma fashion. She exclusively wore white, off-white, and beige, and she ALWAYS wore small pumps.

I lost it when my Mom called me and told me. I had just gotten to school for an evening recital, and I had to turn around and drive back home. The thing is, it's hard to be so far away from family on a good day, but especially when something like this happens. Sadness from losing someone you love, plus homesickness, plus not being able to be there for the people you love who've also lost this person...is a lot to handle.

I'm flying out to New Jersey on Thursday for the memorial on Sunday. I'll be back in Tempe on Monday evening. I've re-scheduled, cancelled, and moved things around because this is currently my priority. The only silver lining to this situation is that I'll be able to be with my family through it, rather than two thousand miles away.

Thank you to my cousin Allison for this photo of her (I love the salutation in the bottom corner).We miss you, Grandma.
xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...