Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Halloween Season

With less than three weeks until Halloween, I think it's safe to say that Halloween Season is, or SHOULD be, in full swing. I love Halloween Season like most people love Christmas-time, something about it just fills me up.

My mom snuck a box of random holiday decorations in the back of the car on our road trip out here, and I'm so glad she did so I could put out a few things for Halloween! Those mummy candlesticks and ghost candlestick holders have been in my house every year at this time for as long as I can remember. It's like having a little bit of home here in my little apartment *warm fuzzies*

Also, I bought these pumpkin seeds at Target. I'm curious to see if they will actually grow. I'll keep ya updated, though I probably should have planted them earlier if I wanted them to be sprouting around Halloween time...we'll see!
In the spirit of Halloween Season, I will most likely exclusively be watching Halloween movies for the foreseeable future. I typically steer away from scary movies in general though, so they're mostly cheesy and lighthearted. Here are my favorites, that have my Halloween-loving heart stamp of approval:

- Hocus Pocus: DUH. This might be the best Halloween movie out there, just sayin'
- Halloweentown/Halloweentown II/Halloweentown High: I actually love all three of these and I watch them every year. Classic Disney Channel movies (before Disney Channel movies turned to mush).
- The Nightmare Before Christmas: to this day I can't tell you how this movie ends because even though I've seen it many times, the ending just doesn't stick in my mind. Ah well. It's a classic, too. (also on Netflix)
- Edward Scissorhands: speaking of Tim Burton. Not strictly Halloween-y, but then again anything Tim Burton touches is Halloween-y. Also Corpse Bride, and even Sweeney Todd.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: even though this isn't technically a Halloween movie, it feels like it is. It's probably that amazing Halloween feast/troll in the dungeon scene that does it, but I always watch this one during Halloween Season.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: I mean, it opens with that creepy and awesome "double, double, toil and trouble" song and that just sets the mood, doesn't it? Plus there's a Chamber of Secrets and what's more Halloween-y than that?
- Double, Double, Toil and Trouble: this movie is really terrible, I'm not going to sugar coat it, but it's still super cute so I dunno, I watch it most years.
- Tower of Terror: another one that's so bad it's good. (so, obviously I love it)
- Donnie Darko: I actually just saw this for the first time like a few days ago. After a bit of contemplation, I decided I really like it. And it's very clearly a Halloween movie, at least to me. But MUCH less lighthearted than the other movies I've mentioned. (also on Netflix)
- Young Frankenstein: classic Mel Brooks, guys. The humor is old-fashioned so I realize it's probably not for everyone, but I've loved this movie since I was a child.
- American Horror Story: this isn't a movie, but if you haven't watched this show now's probably a good time to start. Although in my humble opinion, just skip season two ("Asylum"). (season one and two also on Netflix)

If I missed any Halloween movies that you love, leave me a comment. I'm always open to more suggestions. And hey, if you have any good costume ideas...send them my way. I NEVER know what to be. Dressing up as a adult is too difficult!

P.S. DIY pumpkin chalkboards from the olden days of this blog and living with my best friend.

Happy Halloween Season!!!
xx

1 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...