Monday, June 9, 2014

DIY Graphic Tees

I LOVE t-shirts. Specifically t-shirts with cool things on them. What I do not like is paying $20 for a simple t-shirt. So I decided to make my own.

What you'll need:
- cotton tees
- graphics
- an iron
- iron-on transfer paper
1. Reverse the graphic in Photoshop (or a comparable program) (or search for graphics that don't really need to be reversed).

To do so: Open Photoshop. Image > "Image Rotation" > "Flip canvas horizontal"

2. Resize the image to fit an 8.5x11 piece of paper.
3. Print on regular printer paper and arrange on shirt, as shown above, to make sure the sizing is appropriate.
4. Print the graphics on the transfer paper, per the package's instructions. Let the pages cool fully.
5. Cut out the graphics, leaving a small border.
6. Iron the tees, then let them cool fully.
7. Iron the graphics onto the tees, per the transfer paper's instructions. (I'm guessing every package will have slightly different directions. Side note: our transfer paper is from 1998, ha!)
8. Let the paper cool COMPLETELY before attempting to peel it off. It should peel off with relative ease. If it doesn't, repeat the ironing process.
Graphics sources: cacti, meow (made by me! I can send you the image if you send me a message), be kind.

(poor Mom is just really bad with my camera)

BAM! Easy as pie. Admittedly, I had a lot of help from my Mom because she's done this before and, although I have some good ideas, in reality I'm just not very crafty. And fortunately the tees aren't very expensive, so if you mess one up (like I did...) you're not out a lot of money.

Enjoy! Let me know if any of you actually try this. You totally should because the shirts came out SO well and I want to make a million more.
xx

3 comments:

  1. doing this. but after we move to the states, when i can find the supplies. because, this is necessary - im envisioning ironic sleep+beach (hint, hint) shirts for J and birthdays and shindigs, oh my.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can NOT wait to see what you come up with, haha!

      Delete
  2. It can be fun creating your own graphic tees because this way you can come up with personal unique designs to make your t-shirt stand out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...