Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Adventures in Cooking // Crock-pot Diaries

Soooo, I got a crock-pot for Christmas. I am very excited to own this crock-pot. It has a built in timing system and everything.

I decided to break in my new crock-pot with a beef and broccoli recipe that I pinned a while back. No, I was not kidding when I said that I had been pinning a lot. It's ridiculous. But! I have a backlog of some really yummy looking recipes.
What you'll need:
- 1 lb. boneless beef roast, thinly sliced. More tender meat would be best, I didn't think about that when I bought the meat and it turned out a bit tougher than I would have liked.
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil. Sesame oil is expensive, so instead I used peanut oil and shook some toasted sesame seeds into the pot before cooking.
- 1-3 garlic cloves. I think this is purely based on how much you like garlic. I put in two cloves and it was too much for my taste.
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch, to make a slurry.
- 4 tbsp. sauce, from the crock-pot after the dish has cooked.
- Broccoli, either frozen or fresh, as many as you want.
- White or brown rice. We used brown purely because that's what we had in my pantry. Generally, I think this dish is served with white rice though.

P.S. I buy a lot of Publix brand things, because Publix brand is almost always comparable, if not better, than name brand (aka more expensive) things.
Follow this recipe!
Pay attention to her updated notes and her note at the end of the instructions; not all crock-pots cook the same way, so start with 4hrs and then leave it in for longer if necessary. Also, it always helps to read the recipe entirely before you begin. That's something that I need to work on ;)
I do wish that I had bought better meat, used less garlic, and that the sauce had thickened a bit more. But, now I know! I'd definitely make this again. It was quite good, and I didn't even eat much of it because I was really sick that week and didn't have much of an appetite. Haha.

If you have a crock-pot, definitely try this! I'll keep you updated on my crock-pot cooking adventures.
xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...