Wednesday, December 25, 2013

And A Happy Christmas To You, Too

It's always bothered me how people out in public just assume that I celebrate Christmas. When I go out to buy some sweaters that are super on sale and the cashier tells me "Merry Christmas," I never quite know how to respond. I want to tell them that I don't celebrate, I don't, that I'm Jewish and I celebrate Hanukkah. You know, that other (most of the time) December holiday?

I never do that, I just mumble a "you too" with a smile and continue on my way. Who am I to be a Scrooge?

The fact of the matter is, some of the people that I love most in this world celebrate Christmas, and they're kind enough to let me join them. And by Christmas Eve, I have just as much enthusiasm about waking up to a sparkly tree and getting to give gifts to my people as the next guy. 

All this to say, I was wrong. Yes, Christmas carols get annoying after 5 straight weeks of them on the radio, but it's a season of kindness and giving, and that's something I can get behind. I'm thankful that I have my own little kind-of family to welcome me into their home to celebrate with them. Even if it is 80º and sunny instead of snowing (damn you, persistent Florida heat)

So with that said, happy Christmas to you and yours, from us and ours :)
xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...