Thursday, October 24, 2013

Roses and Thorns

Cactuses in Belgium
Cactuses in Paris
Finest weather on campus
Snoozing 
It's too true that only you can choose to be happy. For me, lately, it's been very difficult. I get caught up in my thoughts and turn even the most normal situations into an ordeal. And I'm slowly realizing that this is no way to live.

I've been thinking a lot about how to make myself happier. It's true that my friends, my boyfriend, my family, and general good things happening can make me happy. But if I'm upset, I'm not completely helpless. I can get myself out of that rut. So now I am resolving to take control of my happiness. Sounds cheesy, but there it is. I'm not going to let the little things get me down anymore. I'm not going to over think things. I'm going to direct my focus to the positive aspects of my life, of which there are many.

It's going to be hard, I can tell. I'm generally a fairly pessimistic person. A "Debbie Downer". But like I said, that's no way to live (at least not all the time). There's too much good happening to focus on the bad all the time.

That being said, I still think it's important to acknowledge the things that aren't so hot. If I ignore them, they fester and grow worse (sounds like a disease, no?). So every once in a while, I think I'll list some good things (roses) and some bad things (thorns).

Good | "Roses":
- Plants
- My boyfriend, when he is sweet and love-y
- Really great practice sessions
- Cooler weather
- Fall clothes (aka, my favorite jacket)
- Halloween season
- Photography gigs
- Coffee
- Reed quintet rehearsals
- Sara Bareilles' new album
- Lady dates
- Regular dates
- Weekends

Not so good | "Thorns":
- My poor dead Aloe plant (pretty sure the humidity did it in)
- Over thinking
- Headaches
- Stomachaches
- Semi-insomnia
- Grad school apps & pre-screening recordings (if you're doing them too, you can sympathize I'm sure)
- Not playing as well as I can in lessons/rehearsals
- Worrying/paranoia
- Impending papers

Thankfully, the good still outweighs the bad, despite the fact that the bad tends to take over my mind and heart. I'm working on it.

Thanks for letting me share; I encourage you all to do the same.
xx

1 comments:

  1. this post is such a clever way to detail all the peaks and pits of life. i love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...