Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Euro Trip: Paris, Part III

On this day (day 4? who even knows anymore) I ventured out to Montmartre on my own. No reason to drag Monique around as I walked forever in search of cemeteries and movie landmarks.

First stop: Le Sacre Couer. The architecture and the view are both amazing. But it was oddly touristy inside, even as the nuns began their prayer.
^ Cafe des Deux Moulins, the restaurant where Amelie worked! I love this movie so I smiled the entire time I was eating my lunch in there ^
^ the Moulin Rouge! quite seedy in real life, but I didn't go in so it's fine ^

After fulfilling my movie dreams, I made my way to Cemetiere de Montmartre, because there are some very famous musicians and artists buried here. What I did not know, is that it's a freaking maze. I got lost a lot. And I had a panicked moment in which I wasn't sure I'd be able to find my way out again. But I did, and I also managed to see all but two of the graves I had been looking for.
^ Berlioz ^
^ Adolphe Sax ^
^ someone left this in front of de Gas' tomb. really, quite thoughtful. if you don't know, de Gas' paintings often portrayed dancers ^

Then, back on the Metro to Pere Lachaise cemetery.
^ Rossini was exciting for me, since I played a piece by him on my recital last semester! ^
^ possibly the most popular grave site is that of Jim Morrison (from The Doors, come on) but it's also the hardest to find because it's hidden behind some others and blocked off my some rope? Not sure why. But it still manages to have the most stuff on it in memoriam ^

aaaand that's my day in Montmartre. It was a really really good day. I had a moment of complete and utter contentment as I walked around the little town, by myself, eating some gelato, dressed like Belle from Beauty and the Beast. I'd be happy to do that every single day (although I might get sick of gelato, it's just so sweet). I feel so fortunate to have had that opportunity.

You can see all of my Europe posts (past and present) HERE.
xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...