Thursday, August 8, 2013

Euro Trip: Paris, Part I

^ L'Arc de Triomphe ^
 ^ Champs-Elysees ^
 ^ Jardin des Tuileries ^
 ^ Musee du Louvre ^
 ^ Palais Garnier. Paris Opera House ^
 ^v Inside Musee du Louvre v^
 ^ The mob in front of the Mona Lisa (La Joconde in French...??) ^
^ Noseless ^
^ Across the Seine River ^
^ The view of Musee du Louvre from Musee d'Orsay ^
These are some photos from my first two days in Paris. So. Much. Walking.

Day one we walked from L'Arc de Triomphe, down the Champs-Elysees, past Le Grand and Petit Palais and to Musee du Louvre. (That's a looong walk.) Then we went to Musee de l'Orangerie where, among other things, we saw huge wall length versions of Monet's Les Nympheas (Water Lilies). It was incredible. Prints of Monet's works are beautiful, but nothing can compare to seeing them in real life.

Day two found me, alone, at Musee du Louvre, waiting in line at 10:30am to get in through that fabulous pyramid. I got lost trying to find the Mona Lisa because I didn't know that in French it is referred to as "La Joconde". And seriously, Musee du Louvre is massive. I read somewhere that even if you lived in Paris, you would have a hard time getting through the entire museum. I basically only saw the Italian paintings, some Italian sculptures, and some Egyptian artifacts.

After my time at Musee du Louvre, I met up with Monique for lunch and we made our way over to Musee d'Orsay. This was my favorite museum. If you go to Paris and miss this one, shame on you!!! There were a ton of neo-Impressionist and Impressionist paintings, including works by van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, Degas, and so many more that I can't remember. There were also a lot of sculptures, a really cute cafe, and an amazing view of Musee du Louvre across the Seine River. It's a "smaller" museum but there's SO much to see. And it's all so beautiful, ugh, I just really love impressionism.

Anyway, those were my first two days. So busy, so exhausting, so wonderful. Paris is truly one of the greatest cities in the world. AND! They're public transportation system, namely the Metro, is amazing. So user-friendly, even for someone like me who doesn't speak a lick of French. Now if only they'd get some air conditioning down there and on the buses ;)

I hope this post wasn't too long! I'm all moved into my apartment so I'll be sharing more regularly (hopefully) from now on. At least until John gets back (next week!!!)
xx

1 comments:

  1. These pictures are wonderful! The Lourvre looks amazing! I cannot wait to get there someday but I think Orsay is where I would love the most too. I love impressionist paintings. Seeing Monet in real life would make my world.

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...