Thursday, August 22, 2013

Euro Trip: Paris, IV

I spent my second-to-last day with a friend from FSU who was studying abroad in Paris! We met up in Le Marais, the Jewish quarter, and went to the Museum of the Shoah, the Holocaust Museum.
Then we went to another museum, briefly, but I can't remember what it was called and I didn't take many photos...but after that, and eating some delicious crepes, we stopped by the bookstore where writers such as Hemingway and James Joyce gathered, and sometimes, lived. I could spend an entire day in there just meandering around, reading the descriptions on the hundreds of books they have in stock. If it had some fans and wasn't so crowded, that is ;)
Then, we went to the Pantheon.
Thanks, Harrison, for such a fun day. And for keeping me company!

The next day, my last day in Paris, Monique and I had planned to go to Versailles. But it was CLOSED. I was so disappointed; all week I had been looking forward to seeing the gardens and grandeur. So, in lieu of the unfortunate circumstances, we made the best of it and decided to go see La Conciergerie (the prison where Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI were kept before being, well...you know) and Saint-Chappelle. 
^ a model of Marie Antoinette's cell ^
^ these windows took about 10 years (I think) to clean. talk about patience ^
We then decided to make our way to Centre de Pompidou for lunch and the museum (it's the modern art museum in Paris).

The museum had an amazing Roy Lichtenstein exhibit, and since I was feeling kind of worn out from the 5 previous days of go go go-ing, we went through the exhibit and headed home.
Lastly, I want to share possibly my favorite photos from the trip.

After my day in Montmartre, Monique and I went to see Le Tour Eiffel all lit up. And it was AMAZING. You know, you see photos of the Eiffel Tower and you're like, "oh that's awesome, it's the Eiffel Tower, yada yada"...but then you're really lucky and you get to go to Paris and you see it in person and it blows your freaking mind. And I didn't even go to the top for the view (which, from what I understand, is pretty much the same as the view from Le Sacre Couer). I am not exaggerating, it is overwhelming. I felt so small and so big all at the same time, I don't know maybe Le Tour Eiffel is magic too.
For a few minutes, they have a million bulbs flashing for the tourists. It's an epileptic's worst nightmare, but it's incredible. Two thumbs up from me.
Finally, ah, Monique. She'd probably be pretty mad if she knew I put this photo on the Internet but that's a risk I'm willing to take. I owe her everything for turning this summer around for me and making my week in Paris so fantastic. It wouldn't have happened if it weren't for her. I am eternally grateful to her for giving me these experiences.

And thank YOU for sticking with me as I shared my abundance of photos. Hope you enjoyed them.
You can see all of my Europe posts HERE.
xx

1 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! Looks like it was a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...