Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Thoughts on Love 'n Stuff

This is the cheesiest thing ever (and I love it).

I guess it's a thing, that when you get to this age and you're in a relationship for an extended period of time, people assume marriage is something you're thinking and/or talking about.  
And maybe it is!  
But...maybe it isn't.  
Either way, it's cool.  
What's not cool, is when people ask about it.  Which has happened to me kind of a lot in the past month-or-so.  I'm not calling anyone out -- DON'T WORRY -- I've just been thinking about it a lot.  
And what I've been thinking is this: what's the rush?  I know that I'm not that young anymore.  I'm out of my teens (not by long, but I'm out) and over half way done with my undergraduate studies.  
Plenty of people graduate, get married, and then go on to grad school, or real jobs, or whatever they want to do, with their spouse. 
That rules.  Seriously, good for them.  
They got their stuff together and took that leap into a life with someone they love.  
But why do people automatically ask, since John and I have been together for a while now, and happy, if we're thinking about marriage?  Or if he's "the one"?  
Honestly, if someone legitimately knows what that phrase, "the one", means, please let me know.  
Maybe we've talked about it.  Maybe we don't want to be with anyone else but each other.
But we're young.  We can't even legally drink alcohol.  We don't have steady jobs or a steady income.  We rely on scholarships and parents and odd jobs here-or-there to get by.  
How could we start a life together, right now, considering these important factors?
Love doesn't pay the bills, guys.  Am I right or am I right?
All I'm trying to rant about here is that people get married when they as a couple are ready to get married.  And every couple is different.  Obviously.  So please, please, don't assume that I'm getting engaged/married soon because I love my boyfriend and we've been dating for over a year.
Maybe it'll happen, someday.
But until then, what we think about marriage is just between the two of us.

xx

*If anyone is offended by this, please email me.  I'm not accusing anyone of anything!  I'm just letting out some thoughts that have recently been rumbling around my head.  Thanks for listening.  Feel free to leave (nice) thoughts in a comment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...